On Tuesday 29 December 2009, Laurent Gauch wrote:
> The idea of the JTAG and Debug port over FT2232 as with the Amontec
> JTAGkey ( now JTAGkey-2, in 2010 JTAGkey-3 ),

So on Friday (2010!) we'll be hearing all about JTAGkey-3!  ;)

> is to use one port for
> JTAG / RTCK / TRST / RESET signal / EMUx signal ...

Just out of curiousity:  not also SWDIO/SWCLK?

A second port could fairly easily be used with SWO/SWV, though
it could be a trifle awkward to access that from OpenOCD; FTDI
packages it as a composite device, so the second port would end
up with another driver...

Or with more work ... maybe even ARM's new compact JTAG with its
narrow trace port, hooked up to ETM.  (Might require a CPLD, and
I've only happened across one board with that connector so far.)

> The best to do:
> 2. Split the actual ft2232.c to two file ft2232_new.c and mpsse.c . Then
> Austin could call funtions from mppse.c. When all is working we will
> rename ft2232_new.c to ft2232.c. Finally we will have :
>  ft2232.c
>  ft4232.c
>  mpsse.c

And, preferably, jtagkey2.c and friends ... there are *two* sets
of headaches with the current approach.  One is how the core code
is factored.  Another is how all the wiring variants are handled.

Oh, make that *three* sets of headaches.  Another is the abuse of
global state.  Which starts to hurt even before one needs to
support multiple JTAG links...

Darn.  Wait a second.  That's *four* sets of headaches.  With SWD
there's also a problem with the assumption that There Is Only JTAG.
Maybe I should stop counting?  Sigh.

An FT4232H could have multiple MPSSE ports, right?  I've already
seen FT2232H based parts with one port going to one JTAG link and
another going to another.  (Actually, to the CPLD controlling how
the signals on the first port get routed.)

- Dave