Would it hurt too much to start out creating a library that wraps
either libftd2xx or libftdi depending on configuration and exposes
the same interface either way? Maybe libftdi could be extended to
use libftd2xx if available and libusb if not?

Re: supporting multiple interfaces for our device:
After considering our needs, I've managed to move the reset lines to
ADBUS5 and ADBUS6, since anyone who doesn't put a pull-up on the reset
lines of a possible target will be answering to our senior systems
engineer. That leaves BDBUS completely free for other uses TBD, and
makes multiple-port support not quite so necessary. (Now I just need
to see if I can solder the 4232HQ back onto the board...)