On Thursday 28 January 2010, Dean Glazeski wrote:
> > The only significant "anti-" sentiment I have is that the Trac git plug-in
> > hasn't had an update since 28th of August of 2009.  I'm going to play with
> > this a little bit with my sourceforge project that's hooked up to git and
> > I'll get back to you.
> >

> Alright, it's impossible to do it, for now.  The Sourceforge people haven't
> setup the ability to have Trac connect to a git repository.

What would such a hookup amount to?

I know that Linux, for example, doesn't need such a thing.
One can just stick the bugtraq ID into patch comments, or
a commit ID into the bugtraq record.  That suffices.

> If we want to
> do only development tracking in the wiki and manage bugs and features in
> Trac, I think it's still a good idea.

That's pretty much how every project I've ever worked on has
done things:  bug database and source repository aren't coupled
except by a convention about how to cross-link.  Works fine.

Fancier linkage could of course work too ... but is not required.

> They may eventually get the git
> connector working, but for now it's a no go.  You can build the plug-in in a
> shell on sourceforge, but I have no idea how to make trac aware of the
> plugin.  Here's a ticket about it:
> https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/ticket/7674

Let's hear from some more folk.  I mentioned this issue a bit
before I cut the RC1 release, and didn't hear any significant
negative pushback.  So I'm inclined to wait till maybe Tuesday
evening, just in case.

> Please, do consider using it. Having a viable ticket manager is a great
> idea.

Note that "manager" has two meanings.  One is the programmatic
sense, a database with front-end.  (And there are more choices
than just Trac of course ... but with Trac we offload a lot of
work to the SourceForge team.)

The other one is a *person* tracking bugs etc.  That's always
the problematic meaning ... making sure the bug database does
not fill up with garbage.

Right now I seem to be the person doing this for the bugs
that can (or should!) affect the 0.4.0 release; nobody
volunteered to handle *any part of that* for the community.

... And as far as I can tell, this is the first release
cycle that's even had lists of bugs/regressions like that.

I'm a lot less concerned with the detals of how the list
of open bugs gets managed (email or whatever) than the
fact that it needs to be managed ... in a public/open way.

- Dave