On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 7:12 PM, David Brownell <davi...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Friday 29 January 2010, Edgar Grimberg wrote:
>> Is there a way to make it send email notifications to this list, with
>> some tag in the subject line ([TRAC] or something similar)? This will
>> make the evolution of the tickets visible to the list, avoiding
>> unnecessary duplication of information. Of course, that means more
>> "noise" on the list, too.
>
> I'll let someone else figure out such issues.
>
> But for the record ... as someone who's used bug databases for
> some time, the quantity of email they often send is apalling.
> It's a major factor in why some folk detest bug tracking systems.
>
> For someone who's agreed to fix the bug, or who submitted it in
> the first place, getting email may be appropriate.
>
> For anyone else, it tends to create fantasies of leaping through
> screens to strangle whoever inflicted all that email on them.
> Or ... just wholesale ignoring of all such email, which is rather
> counter-productive.
>
> So posting such stuff to the main developer list should IMO never
> even be considered.

You are right. I was viewing this only from the tester's point of view.
I would like to be able to receive emails on bugs that I follow
(either because I submitted the bug, or because I am interested in the
evolution of that particular bug). I guess this is pretty basic and
implemented by all decent bug database systems.
Eventually, major bugs can be announced to the main list.

Regards,
Edgar

--
Edgar Grimberg