>> - buf_set_u32 and buf_get_u32 make sure that data is in host endianness
> Why ? Don't we want the data to be in target endianess ?

>> You need swapping when reading and comparing debug registers or send code to
>> MIPS CPU.
> Can you give the example of some of these comparisons in the source
> code ? You are referring to some comparisons in mips32_pracc.c ?

example:

mips_m4k.c: mips_m4k_poll

  mips_ejtag_set_instr(ejtag_info, EJTAG_INST_CONTROL);
  retval = mips_ejtag_drscan_32(ejtag_info, &ejtag_ctrl);
  if (ejtag_ctrl & EJTAG_CTRL_ROCC)
  {...

ejtag_ctrl is host endian uint32. If mips_ejtag_drscan_32 would be in
target endianness you need to swap here or write and use a new function
that does swapping.