Hey yelims,

First of all please take a deep breath, and please tell us what exactly you
want to do, do you want to write OpenSocial applications, or do you want to
allow your site to contain OpenSocial apps?

In the first case, it does indeed save you from having to write logins and
all that, the social network sites in which your application runs does all
that for you, and using the OpenSocial API you can query for who's viewing
the page, who owns the page, get friends, etc etc. A great start for
learning about that is the tutorial:
http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/articles/tutorial/tutorial-0.8.html

In the second case, where you'd want to create an social network site, which
can host OpenSocial applications, then the burden of implementing logins,
and lots of other details, is upto you .. OpenSocial is a standard which
allows an 'social gadget' to run on any social platform, but not a 'social
network site' product, it's just the API for OpenSocial.

If you want to create a container, you'll be happy to hear that there is a
PHP version of shindig available, see the PHP directory under
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/shindig/trunk/ also there is an
example available of how to use this in Partuza:
http://code.google.com/p/partuza/ (and a live demo is available at
www.partuza.nl).

There are some step-by-step guides for installing that available for mac and
win, and a rough guide for *nix (to many varients to make a walk-through
guide for, and most *nix admins don't really need it either):
http://www.chabotc.com/php/setting-up-shindig-and-partuza-on-a-mac/
http://www.chabotc.com/generic/setting-up-shindig-and-partuza-on-windows/
http://code.google.com/p/partuza/w/list

There is a possible third and fourth scenario, from your email it's a little
hard to judge what exactly your looking for, or what exactly you think
OpenSocial is or should do.

Option 3 is using hybrid OpenID and OAuth to allow users to authenticate
their identity (for example let google verify that I'm 'Chris Chabot' and my
gmail id is 'chab...@gmail.com'), and get an oauth access token to get
access to, for instance, our OpenSocial people end point, so that you could
also retrieve (and by storing the oauth access token, keep refreshing every
day/week/whatever) the friendlist for that person. This doesn't alleviate
the need for making your own local database and storing the ID's, but it
does make the login easier, allows people to not have to remember another
login and password, and take their friend lists with them to your site too.

If that's what your interested in (do note this isn't 'OpenSocial' but
'OpenID, OAuth, and OpenSocial for the friend lists'), these are a great
starting point:
The spec: http://code.google.com/p/step2/
announcement:
http://googledataapis.blogspot.com/2009/01/bringing-openid-and-oauth-together.html
 live demo: http://googlecodesamples.com/hybrid/
php example code:
http://code.google.com/p/gdata-samples/source/browse/#svn/trunk/hybrid
and also a great resource for getting started is Plaxo's 'A Recipe for
OpenID-Enabling Your Site' : http://www.plaxo.com/api/openid_recipe

This technique (hybrid openid and oauth) is pretty new but has been a huge
success in the initial live trials:
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/comcast_property_sees_92_success_rate_openid.php

You can also use similar techniques to login to social network's REST API's
using 2 or 3 legged OAuth and importing social information from those social
sites, there's a preview of a new PHP library for doing those kind of things
available at:
http://opensocial-php-client.googlecode.com/files/opensocial-php-client-1.0preview.zip

The fourth option is 'Google FriendConnect', for which the main URL is:
http://www.google.com/friendconnect/ FriendConnect is intended for if you
really don't want to write any authentication code or store anything in your
local databases, and just want to add 'social' to your site without any
headaches of implementation, it allows people to loging with their openid,
google, yahoo or aim account and connect their friend lists from various
social networks (at the moment a somewhat short list, but much more is
coming in the near future). Again this isn't to be confused with
'OpenSocial', it does use OpenSocial under the covers to get friend lists
and post activities and does allow you to host OpenSocial apps on your site
through FriendConnect, but it's not at all the second case I've described
above, it's letting Google taking care of all those details for you, and
very easily add social features to your site. It already has a very exciting
range of options, but it'll get a lot more very exciting features in the
days to come (unfortunately I can't comment on what exactly, other then that
it'll be really cool :)

So there you have it, 4 different answers for 4 different questions, I hope
one of them fits your requirements and clears up what OpenSocial is and how
you can leverage the various aspects of it :)

   -- Chris