Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
>> i have a core2 duo intel laptop running indiana and
>> after seeing messages like:
>> Nov  8 20:23:43 saturn cpudrv: [ID 495817 kern.info]
>> NOTICE:
>> cpudrv_pm_set_topspeed: instance 1: has new max power
>> of 1833 MHz
>> in dmesg, i was wondering if there is a way to force
>> the processor to
>> run at a lower frequency from within solaris
>>
>> nacho
>>

> That would be useful.
>
> Also useful would be a message when the speed is reduced. I get messages
> like:
>
> cpudrv: [ID 495817 kern.info] NOTICE: cpudrv_pm_set_topspeed: instance 1: has
> new max power of 2000 MHz
>
> but dont see any if the speed is reduce - I've no idea if it does reduce.

Currently, there is no way to force a processor to a lower frequency. A
feature we'll be adding to Solaris soon.

As for what determining what frequencies your processors are running at,
you can find that out from the cpu_info kstat.

$ kstat -m cpu_info -s current_clock_Hz
module: cpu_info                        instance: 0
name:   cpu_info0                       class:    misc
        current_clock_Hz                2800000000

module: cpu_info                        instance: 1
name:   cpu_info1                       class:    misc
        current_clock_Hz                2800000000

Supported frequencies can be found using the cpu_info kstat too:

$ kstat -m cpu_info -s supported_frequencies_Hz
module: cpu_info                        instance: 0
name:   cpu_info0                       class:    misc
        supported_frequencies_Hz        2800000000:3200000000

module: cpu_info                        instance: 1
name:   cpu_info1                       class:    misc
        supported_frequencies_Hz        2800000000:3200000000

Mark