>I think the ability to set a min and a max frequency in /etc/power.conf would
>be useful. I might f
or example want to let mine go up to 1.667 GHz rather than teh normal 2.000
GHz, but let it go down
 to 1.000 GHz. In other words, have some degree of manual control, while
letting the system have so
me automatic control.

>I guess for laptops there is some argument for letting non-root users control
>this.

Something like a "power profile" is, I think,what we really want:

Windows defines several and they seem to fit what you are doing.

E.g., you could run your system as follows:

        - always low power
        - low power if on battery, unrestricted if not

        - always full power
        - etc.

Casper