> Well, there is an mdb hack (enable cpudrv_direct_pm)
> along with a couple
> of ioctl(2) calls (PM_DIRECT_PM and
> PM_SET_CURRENT_POWER) that could
> give you direct control over the frequency. I'm not
> convinced you really
> want to go there though

I would like to 'go there'. I think it would be useful to fix the frequency at
1 GHz on my laptop, and not let it wander up to 2 GHz. I know Vista can limit
the maximum CPU speed used, as I have run a very CPU intensive benchmark in one
of the power saving positions and know it scores lower. Hence I assume the CPU
speed was throttled back, and not allowed to increase even though the system
was running the CPU flat out.

If you can provide a way for the user to set the upper frequency, I personally
think it would be useful.

> as I think you are misreading
> the messages from
> dmesg.
>
> The messages you've listed are printed to the system
> log whenever the
> maximum power level changes ...

I can't speak for the original poster, but I did not interpret them correctly.

I can't critisise the words your driver uses, but if you can think of a way of
rewording it, to make it clearer what the message exactly means, I guess it
would be a good thing. Whilst the wording seems accurate, I think a lot of
people will interpret it incorrectly.

PS, I'm not sure why there are now two threads with this title going on - it is
quite confusing. I notice that with some of the other threads too - they get
split up.

Dave