On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Edward Ned Harvey
<opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensola...@nedharvey.com> wrote:

> Thank you - But I already knew all that.  Here's what's weird, and where the
> confusion is coming from:
>
> First, fdisk only supports 4 partitions.  So the existence of p0, p1, p2,
> p3, p4 is weird.  Cuz that's five.

That's because p1-p4 are the fdisk partitions, and p0 is the special device
that refers to the disk as a whole. Same naming convention, but 2 different
things. (At least they're not overloaded the way that s2 is for slices.)

> If you simply reference the d0 in zpool create... Then it will create the d0
> device.  By looking at the major,minor numbers, it seems to be synonymous
> with another random thing, like s5 or something...  But not p0, not s2, and
> not s0.  So the logic of all of this evades me...

Logic? There's probably logic if you look at the historical development
of the naming scheme, but I think you're trying to read to much into this.
There are separate names for different purposes.

Just use p* from fdisk.
Just use s* to refer to Solaris slices.
Just use d0 for zfs to refer to the whole drive.

--
-Peter Tribble