From: John Viega <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

viega> I think it's a good idea to make algorithms easy to cut out.

I disagree.  We currently have a rather big compatibility mess with
libdes for the simple reason that libdes exists both as it's own
library and as part of SSLeay/OpenSSL.  Unfortunately, certain things,
like the definition of DES_LONG, differ between libdes and
SSLeay/OpenSSL on some platforms.  Not good.

viega> I very often run into people who want to yank out just the
viega> pieces of OpenSSL they need, particularly people who are
viega> working in embedded environments with memory constraints, or
viega> people working at a device driver level.

I'm not sure why you need to yank out source when it's just as easy to
link with libcrypto and make sure you only use the specific
algorithms.  In such a case, one should avoid using things like
EVP_get_cipherbyname() since that requires that all compiled
algorithms be linked in.

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Redakteur@Stacken  \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.