> appro> > appro> Should we check for "-.pic" also?
> appro> >
> appro> > I haven't seen any compiler with such a flag, yet...
> appro>
> appro> ??? What do you mean? All compilers support both -.PIC and
> appro> -.pic! Or do you mean that you have interpreted . literally?
>
> Let me rephrase that: I haven't seen a compiler the requires "-.pic"
> and can't take "-.PIC".

So that your suggestion is basically to change all -.pic to -.PIC in
./Configure. That is also a way...

> That will however be something for 0.9.8.  There's been some requests
> for production of both 32- and 64-bit variants as well, so I'm
> thinking of introducing the possibility of building library variants.

What is more important to fix *first* is dual-ABI header files. I mean
the first "milestone" in the "grand plan" should be same header files
providing for all ABIs supported by target OS. In my opinion that is:-)

> That will also require that we have separate build directories and so
> on, so that's a rather large job.

I myself would actually be reluctant to strive for building all possible
combinations (matrix of supported ABI and static/dynamic combinations)
in so to say one move and by default. I'd rather document how to achieve
any particular result and leave the rest to binary package/OS
distribution builders/maintainers. After all it's them who has better
understanding of where does run-time linker look for ABI-specific
components, etc. I mean idea is basically that we stand for headers,
implementation and documentation and they stand for ABI selection and
for dealing with linker. When it comes to single user deploying OpenSSL
application in some particular application, then [s]he would surely have
less trouble dealing with a single ABI chosen at ./config time. Every
single thing doesn't have to be more complicated then it really has to.

But I'd rather leave this discussion for next year:-) Really... A.