> appro> But back to the originating ticket. Shall we add that -shared flag  to
> appro> gcc command line? What was the consensus?
>
> Uhmm, I thought it already did in 0.9.7?  If it doesn't, that's a
> fault in Makefile.org.  You have to look at the target
> do_solaris-shared, and see why ${DETECT_GNU_LD} doesn't detect GNU ld
> properly.

??? They guy was reporting problem with -shared -G. -G is not an option
in  do_gnu-shared... And given the error message it's Solaris linker
we're takling about... And -shared is not an option in
do_solaris-shared... But adding -shared would break none-gcc builds... I
suppose one should simply complement do_solaris-shared with -z text...
I'll fine-read the manual pages tonight...

As for DETECT_GNU_LD. Isn't '${CC} -Wl,-v -o /dev/null /dev/null 2>&1 |
grep "^GNU ld" > /dev/null' better? It works with *all* compiler
drivers! Those which don't support -Wl would say "no GNU ld here" and
that's what we want to know anyway. While those other than GCC that also
invoke GNU ld and should be detected (e.g. Compaq C for Alpha Linux and
Intel for Linux, both IA-32 and IA-64) would be covered as well!

> Note that, at least as far as I know, the use of -G vs. -shared
> greatly depends on which ld is used underneath.

Well, you can pass -shared to Solaris gcc driver and it will discard it
*and* throw couple of extra flags down to the linker... So that -shared
-G is not completely meaningless actually...

A.