In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Fri, 13 Dec 2002 14:45:15 +0100, Andy
Polyakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

appro> > Let me rephrase that: I haven't seen a compiler the requires "-.pic"
appro> > and can't take "-.PIC".
appro>
appro> So that your suggestion is basically to change all -.pic to -.PIC in
appro> ./Configure. That is also a way...

Ah, hadn't looked in Configure.  No, I don't think that's a good idea,
unless you know for sure that there will be no bad impact.

appro> > That will however be something for 0.9.8.  There's been some requests
appro> > for production of both 32- and 64-bit variants as well, so I'm
appro> > thinking of introducing the possibility of building library variants.
appro>
appro> What is more important to fix *first* is dual-ABI header files. I mean
appro> the first "milestone" in the "grand plan" should be same header files
appro> providing for all ABIs supported by target OS. In my opinion that is:-)

I can agree with that.  How complicated is that?  I know that for
64bit Windows, the biggest issue is that don't have proper size_t
handling (we make a horrible mix between that and unsigned int).  On
VMS, it's more a decision between using 32- and 64-bit routines for
certain operations, and that's not a header problem...  I've no idea
what the impact would be on Unixen.

appro> > That will also require that we have separate build directories and so
appro> > on, so that's a rather large job.
appro>
appro> I myself would actually be reluctant to strive for building all possible
appro> combinations (matrix of supported ABI and static/dynamic combinations)
appro> in so to say one move and by default. I'd rather document how to achieve
appro> any particular result and leave the rest to binary package/OS
appro> distribution builders/maintainers. After all it's them who has better
appro> understanding of where does run-time linker look for ABI-specific
appro> components, etc. I mean idea is basically that we stand for headers,
appro> implementation and documentation and they stand for ABI selection and
appro> for dealing with linker. When it comes to single user deploying OpenSSL
appro> application in some particular application, then [s]he would surely have
appro> less trouble dealing with a single ABI chosen at ./config time. Every
appro> single thing doesn't have to be more complicated then it really has to.

Good point.  I'll ponder over that.

appro> But I'd rather leave this discussion for next year:-) Really... A.

OK :-).

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Redakteur@Stacken  \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.