>> 1. What’s the default if “with-rand-seed” was not provided? All of the
>> listed supported types? None of them? Some of them…?
>
>   As the first bullet says, it’s “os”.

OK, thanks.

> As for the second part of your question, it is deliberately not answered.
> If you care, you’ll have to read the source.  (It’s clean and easy to do so,
> now.)  We’re not documenting everything.

I think it’s a bad approach to not document this important behavior. It has to
be security-analyzed, then frozen & published.

>>2. What is the order in which the seed sources are tried (both when
>>“with-random-seed” was and was not given)?
>
> Read the source.

Likewise. It has to be published, and the developers need to figure out the
right way here and commit to it (no pun intended).

>> 3. What should I do if I want a given source to be used in addition to the
>> other sources, regardless of whether openssl thinks it got “enough bits” of
>> randomness or not?
>
> Modify the source :)

Very bad answer.

When randomness is involved, adding more of diverse sources can only improve
the outcome. Therefore there must be a way to tell OpenSSL to *not* stop when
it got what it believe to be “enough” but mix in more from other sources. And
that mechanism must *not* be an individual hack – but a standard reviewed
maintained access method.

> For a few reasons, we’re deliberately not documenting all the details.
> Interested parties will have to read the source.

I have no problem reading the source code. I do have a problem with (a)
important decisions like this not “formalized” and documented, and (b)
mechanisms to tune the RNG seeding not provided and clearly and comprehensively
documented.

I urge the developers to reconsider.