On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 05:56:41PM +0100, Michael Str?der wrote:

> > http://vdukhovni.github.io/ietf/draft-ietf-dane-smtp-with-dane-05.html#rfc.section.1.2
> >
> > This is why I am working to implement and standardize SMTP with DANE TLS.
>
> DANE itself does not help. It just shifts the trust anchor problem.
>
> DNSSEC secures the MX lookups.

For the record:

    While indeed SMTP with DANE TLS relies on DNSSEC to secure the
    MX lookup, it also critically relies on DANE for two additional
    pieces of information:

    - Downgrade resistant STARTTLS support signalling.  Without
      this MITM attackers simply suppress STARTTLS and the sender
      proceeds in cleartext.

    - TLS support signalling is combined with signalling that the
      peer can be authenticated and all the key material needed to
      perform authentication.  Sending MTAs run unattended with no
      user to "click OK".  They must not routinely fail due to
      Goedel's theorem for CA bundles (any set of trusted CAs is
      either insecure or incomplete).

    - Since it is already agreed that DNSSEC must be trusted to
      protect the MX records, eliminating the CA bundle from the
      picture reduces risk AND improves reliability to the point
      where peer authentication with SMTP becomes usable.  It is
      NOT usable with CA bundles.

There are more good reasons why DANE is required as part secure
SMTP TLS, but I am not obligated to provide a comprehensive
justification in response to every trollish one liner, the above
will have to do.

--
        Viktor.