Andreas Jaeger schreef:
> Here are the minutes from yesterday's dist meeting.  If you have any
> questions, comments, ideas, please speak up!
>
> Thanks,
> Andreas
>

> * Enabling more network services to be NetworkManager aware, e.g. ntp and
> autofs
>
> This is in general desired but might need quite large rework for some
> services like autofs that do not handle IP changes properly.
>
> Proposal: Services should be aware that network goes up/down and
> handle no network (instead of timing out).
>
> Let's look what can be done for ntp - and later look at other
> services.  Note the ntp service is also usefull for machines without
> network (serial DCF77 clock).  Right now the dispatcher script sends a
> signal to ntp if the IP address changes but during boot ntp starts
> even if network is not running.
>
> Suggestion: ntp start script should figure out if NetworkManager is
> running and if it is only start if network is up - otherwise the
> dispatcher script will start it.

This is also a good idea, to make sure things happen as they should...

> AI: Work together on ntp.
>
> Dial-in support for NetworkManager to support ISDN, Modem, UMTS, 3G
> cards is beeing worked on and should be ready for openSUSE 10.3.
>
> * Checkin policy for specific projects and how to track them
>
> Current example is postgresql.  This was a question for security
> update of old distributions.  The maintenance team grants exceptions
> on a case by case basis, e.g. if the new version just fixes the
> security problem.
>
> * AppArmor: Move the profiles from our package to their packages
>
> This would allow easier tracking of changes in packages.  On the other
> hand a central place might give some extra review.
>
> Consensus: If the format is stable enough, we should distribute the
> profiles.  Once we do it, we should train the packagers and institure
> some review process for the profiles to maintain a high quality.
>
> Beside manual page apparmor.d(5) a short documentation for packagers
> in plain english of the format is missed.
>
> AI: talk to Apparmor folks.
>
> * Faster booting?
>   What can be done here?
>
>   Booting consists of kernel startup, initrd and System V scripts.
>   The bootchart scripts do measure the System V scripts but not the
>   initial ramdisk.
>
>   Idea: Snapshotting at gdm/kdm time: Write a snapshot and resume at
>   the next boot back to this version.  This is different from suspend
>   to disk.

This looks like a smart idea, suspend to disk sometimes fails, but if it
works, it takes a little less time than a complete boot...(and one is
were one left off..)

>   Filesystem fragmentation under Linux is in general not a problem -
>   but it is a problem in booting.  Therefore measurements have to be
>   done on freshly installed systems.
>
> AI: Generate some bootcharts to show current bottlenecks.
>
> * Shrink the basepackages (packages always installed for building)
>
>   With todays changes we seem to be able to do a self-contained
>   build of base with just 72 source packages (spec files).  By heavily
>   stripping the set of basepacks of course.  And we have side-by-side
>   compiles against the openSUSE config to compare logfiles (no differences
>   sofar).
>
>   This means that e.g. vim and strace will be removed from the build
>   environment.  The autobuild team will add options to build to easily
>   add debug tools to the tree.
>
> AI: Show list of packages to autobuild to adjust configs, announce
> changes to opensuse-packaging - and run comparisions of the complete
> system to check that all requirements are met.
>
> * Email notifications for checkins for not novell addresses
>
> Package.changes file coming from the build service might contain
> non-Novell email addresses.  We decided to not send any autobuild
> emails to those adddresses.
>
> AI: implement whitelist of domains (currently @novell.com,
> @suse.de, @suse.cz)
>

> Andreas

- --

Have a nice day,

M9.               Now, is the only time that exists.

  OS:  Linux 2.6.18.2-34-default x86_64
  Huidige gebruiker:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Systeem:  openSUSE 10.2 (X86-64)
  KDE:  3.5.5 "release 45.2"