> On Mar 19, 2018, at 5:32 PM, Karen Reeds <karenmre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi, Wolf,  3/19/2018
>
> I really hope you'll share your paper with the O-List!
>
> I'm skeptical that there was a single cause for the world-wide rise of
> interest in origami. And I also doubt that the Ngram can give a complete,
> fine-grained  picture of the timing, especially for the early years.

I second Karen Reeds in that there is probably not a single cause for the
expansion of origami books in the ‘80s.

I would just add that that the critical mass happend not because of one or two
best-seller authors, but because books were being sold worldwide at increasing
number since the mid ’50s, which led to big publishers to agree on printing new
authors, something that in the 60’s and even in the ‘70s would have been very
difficult to achieve. In general, publishers were reluctant to accept books
that look “difficult” (there is extensive proof from letters of that time
between frustrated origami creators). So once the gates were opened, more
authors were given the opportunity to bring in their creations and have their
books published.

The “big wave” started with easy books, and the first worldwide best seller
author was Isao Honda. The archienemy of Akira Yoshizawa, Honda had the bright
idea of producing books with actual origami foldings, which delighted kids
everywhere. Those were mostly easy books (later, the beautifully illustrated
books by Tatsuo Miyawaki, followed on the idea of Honda with real origami
models in each page). I have an interesting news clipping from the Japanese
newspaper Sankei Shimbum (May 10, 1959) praising the worldwide acceptance of
origami books by Isao Honda. I just quote a startling paragraph from that
article: “Some of tens of thousands of each of these three volumes were
expoerted, and soon became best sellers, breaking the one time record of the
Japan Publication Export of the Judo Book of Kyuzo Mifune. The point of these
publications is that besides illustrations origami models are pasted on each
page”  [the bold highlight is mine]

Once the publishers realized that books about origami sold well, they began to
accept ideas of more complex models. If there were a handful of creators in the
60’s, the field in the next decades was ripe for a change and more authors that
had been holding their desire to come to light finally got a place in the
agenda of those publishers.

Laura Rozenberg