>In the google ngram viewer (a website that let's your search for term in a
>large amount of books) I looked up origami, and found in various
> languages, that the rise of the term "origami" began in the 1980s [1]

>Does anyone have an idea why that is?

Hiya,

If I'm reading your graph right the up-swing started in 1983, well Bladerunner
came out late 1982.

I'd like to think there was a more "wholesome" reason, but that is definitely a
movie involving origami that got a lot of traction in the public mind at about
the right time.

All the best

SIMON SCARLE

DR SIMON SCARLE rm 2Q20
@SimonScarle @UWEGames @UWEGamesMSc
Senior Lecturer in Games Technology
Program Leader for MSc Commercial Games Development Computer Science & Creative
Technologies University of the West of England Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour
Lane Bristol, BS16 1QY simon.sca...@uwe.ac.uk