> On Dec 31, 2022, at 2:23 PM, Anne LaVin via Origami
> <origami@lists.digitalorigami.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2022 at 7:40 AM Lorenzo via Origami
> <origami@lists.digitalorigami.com <mailto:origami@lists.digitalorigami.com>>
> wrote:
>
> Just a note about this topic (books/publications):

> So, please, keep contacting me privately, if interested in discussing about
> collecting books, as we can sort out a proper solution (such as a public FB
> page which anyone can consult, without having the email inbox flooded).
>
> I will play devil's advocate, here, and ask *why* a group mailing list is not
> a "proper" solution for this discussion? Even if a particular topic is of
> interest to only part of the community, isn't that nearly always true, for
> any given thread?
>
> While I am the first to agree that the use of email (and the technology that
> people use to read and send it) has not evolved in a way that makes true
> discussion lists all that common any more, this is a pretty low-traffic list
> at the moment. It could, in my opinion, certainly withstand some regular
> discussion of something as important to the community as origami books and
> other publications.

The problem with emails is that they often get lost unless one is a very
organized person (not my case). If I want to go back to a discussion, unless I
have created a folder for said topic, I will struggle to find all the emails
related to it.

Years ago there was a great forum administrated by Nick Robinson. It was called
Didactis and Research of Folding. Unfortunately, it stopped working and today
it is unavailable (Wayback machine keeps some pages of the old
www.forum.foldingdidactics.com).

I felt sorry for that and wanted a place where people could continue posting in
an organized manner. For that, I created the Origami Forum
(https://laurarozenb.wixsite.com/origamiforum) which allows to create topics,
follow theme, have followers, receive notifications by emails, among other
benefits. Any person can sign up and start participating. Of course you can
create a topic about “Books”. The new forum may not have the popularity of the
old one, but if more people sign up, it may become a good tool. Again, all new
postings are notified via email to members, so it also works for people who
forget to check the forum regularly. The URL has my name because that’s the
free account. In order to change to a more logical name, I would have to pay
Wix.com <http://wix.com/> an annual fee.

Laura Rozenberg