hi,

one thing I forgot to add, Python is great as a beginners language,
ie: for teaching programming, to kids to Comp Sc students etc.

It has all the paradigms and jargon for modern languages, its free,
and its easy to get started. And did I mention, its just about the
only language I find that is fun! The closest I've found to being fun
is Squeak SmallTalk, which now comes packaged with the OLPC Laptop
(One Laptop per Child project),
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLPC_XO-1>, whose Sugar windowing
environment is built on Python & GTK,
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Python_Environment>)

It always amazes me to see where Python turns up! Its application area
is so wide.

Oh yeah did I mention, scientific computing is an area that Python is
strong in (google SciPy). e.g. Los Alamos Lab, the US Dept of Energy
Lab that develops nuclear technology stuff among other things, uses
python to handles huge datasets with numerical libs that tie with
Python. These datasets are big enough to bring RDBMS to its knees....

PHP is strong on only one niche, web apps...

--
#-------
regds,

Boh Heong, Yap