On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Mathias Fröhlich
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Yes, the semantics of the current CullSettings api suggest your change.
>  But no, that needlessly copies all values over and copies back what is in the
>  mask.
>  Not nice IMO :)

The copies are done to replicate the effect of stack of settings,
where local settings don't affect the state of parental operations.
One could go the route of implementing a stack of settings, there will
still be copies going on, and the code would complicate that classes.

>  Anyway, from the scenegraph perspective I wonder why the cull visitor has
> such
>  a mask. I would rather try to remove that maks from the cull settings and
>  move that into the camera. Then it is clear, that the cull settings are
>  set/inherited from the tree structure of the scenegraph.
>  Also the cull visitor does not need that value IMO.

It a matter of expediency and history, reusing the CullSettings class
in various roles rather than creating different classes that store the
same parameters.  The history comes down to how the OSG has evolved
with new capabilities being dovetailed into existing classes or
collaborating with different classes whilest trying to minimize the
amount of existing user code that might break as consequence of this
evolution.  This does lead to some code not always being perfect from
all perspectiveness.

I will go ahead an merge the change, but since we have the old code in
place still we can always revert amend as required.