Hi Mathias,

The inheritance of state, transforms and cull settings should all be
down top down, so the highest objects in the OSG world being the
view(er) then the view's Camera's, then the scene graph below them -
this is public face of the scene graph.  The rendering traversal is
just a back end feature that just needs to honour that relationship of
settings provided in the public face.   If the rendering back end
doesn't honour this then it needs fixing, the change I made yesterday
I feel is a step in this direction.

As for worrying about the fact that a topmost CullSetting still has a
inhertiance mask, well that's fine by me, even if its a non op.
Perhaps in the future we might add an even high level CullSetting that
get inherited down to the viewer.  How knows, I certainly don't.  As
for implementations, if they are broke then I'll go help fix them, but
changing things to "streamline" them is something that is way down on
my set of priorities.  Bug fixes, completing existing features and
getting the next releases of OSG and VPB out the door is what is
critical for me right now.

Robert.