Hi Rizzen,

>  Rizzen is far from my real name. It is a random generated fictional name.
>
>  >From past replies to my posts on this mailing list, Robert has had no
>  problems referring to me as Rizzen, showing that even fictional names do
>  work. :)

Yes, the key is *use* you psuedo name in place of true name, rather
than just not using a name at all.

The real problem is posts that address no one, and have no signature,
where there is absolutely no indication how one is addressed.  Its
rude communitcation that all too easily can stem from hiding behind
anonymity.

Polite discussions go like this:

Hi X,

Some text

Post from X:
> Some other points

Regards,

Drop the address and your have:

Some text:

> Some other point

Now which of these is likely to be taken the wrong way, and to lead to
deterioration in communications?  This is basics of human
communication.

Personally I find anonymity a slippery slow, its communication that
from the outset is based on one party being deceitful.
As Nicolas pointed out, anonymity can be used to avoid accountability,
which in turn can all too easily lead to peoples conduct dropping.

As someone who's working life is very entwined with the osg-users
community I am very exposed this conduct dropping.  Sadly poor conduct
in one poster can then rub off on to others, and all too soon its a
rabble and thoroughly unpleasant place for everybody to hang out.   As
project lead and mailing list administrator its my role to try and
sheppard things in a better direction.  This does occasionally mean
calling out behaviour which I feel is not acceptable to myself and
others.