My thought is that the override only applies to nodes that are "paged
in". The root node of the scene is still using vbos as far as I
understand since of doesn't have to be paged in.

I'll take a look at the code tommorow morning at work, I'm currently
driving and checking email. Only when I stop for breaks of course;)

Jason