Filip Wänström wrote:
Hi there!

I tried out to run the 2.6 source release on my MacBook Pro (Leopard 10.5.4) And run into some issues but it seems that I resolved them in the process and I want to share my experience in order to help others in a similar situation.

First:

1. The provided Xcode project is out of date/doesn't work. I didn't bother further with that after the initial failure to get it to work. 2. There seems to be no updated info on what to do with the Mac version except that its seems hard, its not supported and Apple has broken binary compatibility going from Tiger to Leopard. Scary stuff. I would have stopped here if it wasn't for that I badly want Mac to be a viable development environment for me. Maybe some old info could be removed and replaced with a simple "1.2.3" list of what to do now.

Anyway, I decided to go the CMake route even though it's not exactly well documented anywhere (neither osg site or CMake homepage talks much about the current status of Mac)
This is the recommended route on OSX. There are some notes in the README.txt in the root of the OSG distribution on OSX that outline many of the steps you list below.

In short it worked, but not completely flawlessly. I found the following issues:

1. There is not much documentation (The biggest problem is that a lot of documentation is contradictory or just to old). So it's trial and error (and patience).
There is documentation, but it is true that much of it is old. I haven't done much cleaning up yet.
2. The install script doesn't work since you have to run as root/su to install in /usr/local
This is probably true. The install script probably needs work.
3. After install. You need to set OSG_LIBRARY_PATH to the plugin install dir
Yes, I realize that this is not standard for OSX. I'm still trying to improve the process for OSX users. This is documented in the README.txt.
3b. Since this is very far from common practice when it comes to mac I think It can be good to provide an example:

Recommended:
1. Download source (from svn or zipped, I use OpenSceneGraph-2.6.0 as the example here)
2. Extract
3. Open terminal and go to your newly created directory (something like ~/tmp/OpenSceneGraph-2.6.0)
4. Create a place for building the project (like: ~/tmp/osgbuild)
5. Enter that dir
5. run cmake with the flag -GXcode (cmake -GXcode ../OpenSceneGraph-2.6.0)
6. start ccmake to configure further (you probably want to build the examples) (ccmake ../OpenSceneGraph-2.6.0)
I recommend downloading the OSX GUI cmake tool from the cmake website to do the configuration.
7. In the text-gui of ccmake. make changes like turn on the examples build. then configure and generate project (c, g)
8. Start the xcodeproject and build (
9. run the installscript from the command line with su privileges ( or login as root user for this task) 10. in order to test examples and make sure that plugins work: set the environment variables:
Create a file called .profile in you root.
export OSG_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/osgPlugins-2.6.0/
export OSG_FILE_PATH=/path/to_where/you_put/OpenSceneGraph-Data-2.6.0/