HI,

I agree on that the next version will still be 2.x. Only if we really go for a
completly different API (with almost no backward compatibility), then we should
go to 3.x

The previous thread just collected some ideas about how to manage future
releases of osg 3.x The idea was to go away from current nodekit thing and to
separate the real main core part. Then with the help of something like
NodeKitSuite one could add additional node kits. The main core would only have
the real main core of a scene graph. All other suites will just provide
functionality like ViewerSuite (whcih will include osgViewer), then
InteractionSuite (here one could include osgWidget, osgGA, ...), then
EffectSuite (here osgParticle, ...) and so on.

Cheers,
art

http://osgforum.tevs.eu/viewtopic.php?p=5901#5901