Hi Paul,

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Paul Martz <pma...@skew-matrix.com> wrote:
> When the Quick Start Guide was being drafted in late '06 (approaching OSG
> 2.0), the consensus appeared to be that the Quick Start Guide should direct
> readers to download prepackaged binaries from the wiki. This makes sense,
> given that it's a "quick start".
>
> Should I now change the book to read, "download binaries for Windows, but
> build from source on other platforms"? This doesn't seem like a "quick
> start". Should the Quick Start Guide attempt to document how to build from
> source, or should I just direct readers to the wiki or a readme file? Build
> specifics seems to change fairly rapidly, so I'm reluctant to document it
> for a single snapshot in time.

With this release it looks like we are going to get more coverage on
pre-built binaries, across more platforms than we've provided before
so I'd say in general we could say that for the major/most widely used
platforms binaries are avaiable - so Windows, Linux and OSX, but for
lost widely used platforms point to the website to download the source
and build instructions.

> Assuming I direct readers to build from source and direct them to the wiki
> for instructions, this really simplifies the first chapter and will reduce
> the page count, making room for new material.

I think the only awkwardness in pointing to the wiki is that we can
refactor the wiki over time so an exact url might not be appropriate.
Perhaps one could do:  openscenegraph.org -> Downloads ->
Instructions, or on the server we could just man
openscenegrpah.org/downloads to the appropriate page etc.