Francesco Argese wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to stream high resolution images in real-time. My problem is that
> performance degenerate after some time; this is due to the complete
> occupation of the ram and to the slow process of loading an image in memory
> that is slower than the visualization frequency needed by my application.
>
> In which classes is this process handled? Is there a manner to avoid (or to
> mitigate) this problem using a different approach?
>
> I remember that i have already seen this same argument in mailing list but,
> doing a search, I have not found what I'm searching for.

It is faster to use texture compression and save the compressed textures
as .ive files, then load those. This requires either a preprocessing
step to compress the textures or a caching mechanism to use compressed
textures once they've been generated. I use the second technique in my
application with pretty good results.

-Eric