> The bottleneck is still your disk I/O bandwidth and if that isn't fast enough
> you're still
> out of luck.

Yes, the bottleneck is certainly I/O bandwidth: in fact the application doesn't
block until It work totally in ram. When RAM is full the paging file  (on the
hard disk) begin to grow and the application go slow and crush.

> Still: the resolution you mentioned (1440x1050) requires ~108 MB/s for 8-bit
> RGB @ 25 fps
> (and over 140 MB/s for 10-bit or RGBA).  You need a few drives to do that...

What do you mean with "You need a few drives to do that..."? That the majority
of hard drives support a flow like that?

I think so but probably the problem could be the loading process of images and
I hope that it could be resolved using other techniques (probably customizing
implementation of osgDB::readImageFile? probably with ramdisk?). Is it possible
or am i wrong?

What is the path (in terms of memory) that images follow before to be displayed
at video?

At the moment i'm already trying using quicktime (inserting images in a .mov)
while, as regards ive, there could it be a problem of size because i have a lot
of images to display.

Thanks all for the useful answers
Francesco Argese