Hi,

Nice to see another way to play videos on differen plattforms, thanks
for the contribution!

Robert Osfield schrieb:

> So.... members of the
> community, what audio libraries should be on our list of targets?   Do
> we even go as far as integrating osgAL/osgAudio directly into the core
> just to enable this plugin to gain the option of audio?

Don't know what ffmpeg needs, I used RtAudio for crossplattform playback
 + recording of audio. It's basically one base-class with different
backends per platform:

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~gary/rtaudio/

> Another aspect to this plugin that is a little intriguing is that it's
> a cross platform solution, and it works fine under 32bit and 64bit as
> far as aware.  This later capability means that under OSX 64bit it
> will work out of the box unlike the present Quicktime movie plugin, so
> it could avoid one of the stumbling blocks for doing 64bit build under
> OSX (the other stumbling block is Apple crappy decision to not port
> Carbon to 64bit).

Everybody claims that the current quicktime-plugin + carbon window
implementation sucks, because it can't handle 64bit, but nobody wants to
spend time and/or money fixing this.

I am currently in progress developing GraphicsWindowCocoa, so perhaps we
have an alpha-quality-implementation by the end of this week.

Without a true 64bit version of Quicktime which works on Win+Mac it
doesn't make sense to update/replace the plugin by QTKit. (Currently,
for 64bit, the 64bit app communicates with a 32bit background process,
which provides the video-stream, and it lacks some of features + is not
crossplattform)

> Personally I'd much prefer to be able to maintain
> a single cross platform video solution instead of three plugins, two
> of which are platform specific.  It's less code to develop, test,
> debug and maintain, and it also keeps the user base working on the
> same consistent tools so those tools get far more testing and
> refinement than what happens when you have disparate solutions.  So...
> could we even deprecate the xine-lib and Quicktime plugins completely?

Currently, I am against deprecating the quicktime-lib, because:

1.) it handles images default for OS X
2.) it handles live-video
3.) it handles movies ffmpg can't handle
4.) it has no dependencies on Mac OS X

But if you want, go deprecate it, interested users can fork + maintain a
copy of it.

Just my 2cents.

cheers,
Stephan