Robert Osfield wrote:
This doesn't solve the problem of providing the audio sink though...
only possibility would be to have osgmovie use something like SDL to
provide the audio, or we could even provide an option in the plugin to
use SDL.  SDL on macs plays silly games with Cocoa though so you end
up odd dependencies even if you don't use video so I'm not convinced
this is a clean solution as it could be.   So.... members of the
community, what audio libraries should be on our list of targets?   Do
we even go as far as integrating osgAL/osgAudio directly into the core
just to enable this plugin to gain the option of audio?

OpenAL is an obvious possibility for this. The OpenAL-Soft implementation at http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html supports almost all of the platforms that OSG supports, and there are also hardware implementations of OpenAL for some sound cards (mostly Creative Labs). There is also a dedicated OSX implementation.

You wouldn't necessarily need to go so far as to integrate osgAudio yet. Simple streaming from ffmpeg could probably be implemented with just a few lines of OpenAL code.

--"J"