Hi Peter,

I would are building your own data then you could probably leverage
VirtualPlanetBuilder for generating the underlying geometry and
imagery, then post process the tiles to insert the extra data, be that
backing in forestry/etc. into the imagery at low levels of detail, or
inserting billboards or higher quality representations at high levels
of detail.

One way of piggybacking off the VirtualPlanetBuilder build is to
output your data to database name which has a extra psuedo plugin
extension, this plugin would then be invoked by VirtualPlanetBuilder
writes it's tiles to disk.  You psuedo plugin would take the subgraphs
and then post process them, then write out to disk.  For instance:

  osgdem .... all my usual options... -o
mydirectory/myrootfile.ive.mypluginextension

Where you write an standard OSG plugin that implements the
RenderWriter::writeNode(..) method.  Have a look at the current trans
+ scale pseudo plugins for inspiration.