Hi Dominic;

As you know there is too much resource on the net. Some of them which I can
advice you to look,

http://habib.wikidot.com/
OrangeBook (aka GLSL Book) There is Real Worldz chapter which talk about
rendering ocean in simple and not comprehensive way.
http://www.vterrain.org/Water/

I don't know which way is the best, simple textures, normal mapping or
shaders? What I would like to see is the sun reflecting the rays on the
water ;-)  Any help is welcome.
IMHO, you only need Reflection Rays on the water surface with Environment
mapping and animated texturing. This 3 combination would give you best ocean
surface as you expect without much CPU usage.

But I really suggest you to use osgOcean, You can turn on/off much of
rendering  unit. So you can only use reflection and environment mapping by
toggling off all off other which are needs too much processing time.

Regards.

Ümit Uzun