I think this answers my question , at least regarding trying to use
CRectTracker.

>From http://www.opengl.org/pipeline/article/vol003_7/

"GDI is no longer hardware-accelerated, but instead rendered to system memory
using the CPU. That rendering is later composed on a 3D surface in order to be
shown on the desktop. The graphics hardware video driver is no longer involved
in GDI rendering, which means that mixing GDI and accelerated 3D rendering in
the same window is likely to produce corruption like stale or blanked 3D
rendering, trails, etc. Using Microsoft's OpenGL software rendering (the first
item in the four OpenGL implementations) will achieve GDI compatibility, but at
the expense of rendering speed and lack of modern features."

So no mixing of GDI and accelerated 3D into the same window...

The problem with resizing is obviously related.