Hi Paul,

I prefer to have control over both FOV and distance (yes, even in
perspective mode), as they clearly produce different results, and
sometimes I want one effect and sometimes I want the other.

I see your point, but I would say that depends on the expected level of the users of your application, and of course different applications will have different requirements as well.

You can even do different things based on the current camera type. The last element of a projection matrix tells you if it's perspective or ortho - mat[3][3] will be 0 or 1 respectively (see http://www.songho.ca/opengl/gl_projectionmatrix.html). So you can have a single camera manipulator that works for any camera (for both projection types), and decide what to do depending on that value if you want.

Hope this helps,

J-S