On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 11:37 -0600, Paul Martz wrote:
> On 9/28/2011 9:22 AM, Jean-Sébastien Guay wrote:
> > Hi Jeremy,
> >
> >> My question is how do I render these objects? Should I treat them
> >> specially (for example, adding them in a post render camera) or should I
> >> simply position them properly to be rendered in the main frame? I'm
> >> looking for some "gotchas" from other people who have done something
> >> similar.
> >
> > I'd render them as a separate camera, simply because they're very close to
> > the
> > eye and so might affect your depth range and precision pretty drastically.
> > If
> > you render them as a separate camera, you'll then have a main camera with a
> > range starting at over 1m (probably the ground will be the closest object
> > most
> > of the time) and a post-render camera with a very small near distance but a
> > very close far distance too, so that's ideal. You can even keep automatic
> > near-far calculation on for both, and it will likely work really well.
>
> I agree with J-S. If you use ABSOLUTE_RF and an identity view matrix, you
> should
> be able to draw these scene elements directly in eye space (you're looking
> down
> the -z axis with +y up). In OSG parlance, it's effectively a "HUD".
>
> In OpenGL, the pattern looks like: push the modelview matrix, set it to
> identity, draw, then pop. Whenever  rendering calls for this OpenGL pattern,
> in
> OSG you should immediately think "Camera".
>     -Paul

Rendering directly into the framebuffer from a 2nd camera (like a HUD,
as you said) turned out to really simplify things, but it does--of
course--change how I need to handle lighting. Since the gun never
technically moves (though it appears to because of the first camera)
I'll have to come up with a way of updating this second camera with the
proper lighting variables...