On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 10:54 +0800, Wang Rui wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> Thanks for the tests and feedback. I'm focusing on creating a material
> system which may be a little similar to the Ogre one but will be very
> easy to integrate with OSG scenes. I'd like to also have a benchmark
> including a complete deferred shading pipeline in the near future to
> show others how OSG produces realistic worlds. :-)
>
> Your requirement could be easiliy implemented with one forward pass
> rendering the scene to a texture, and two deferred passes doing the
> blur work with the texture as input. A final compositing pass will
> make use of the outputs of the blur passes and output to a new
> texture. You can get and use the new texture then in the scene for
> your own purpose instead of direct displaying them on screen. I'd like
> to upload a DOF effect file and an updated example some days later to
> demonstrate how these work.

Are there ever cases, when doing sophisticated layering of rendering
like this, that you'd want to manually "kick off" the EffectCompositor
for just a single frame and update the texture only once? (For example,
by setting the NodeMask to 0xF for one frame, then back to 0x0 when
you're done updating the View).

Is there a term for this kind of approach, and would it make sense to
also support this model of rendering directly or should it be left up to
the user?