Sergey's suggestion (invalidating the geometry's bounds with a custom
compute bounds callback) sort of worked, but led into another issue.
If I zoom out far enough, the Earth surface geometry disappears.
Specifically, if the camera is pointing at the center of the Earth,
the Earth geometry disappears when the camera eye is further than
~5.13E6m from the surface of the Earth. Changing the near and far
planes don't have any effect here.

However, if I disable culling I don't have this problem (but disabling
culling kills the framerate):
myCam->setCullingMode(osg::CullSettings::DO_NOT_COMPUTE_NEAR_FAR);

So right now I'm:

* Setting the near and far plane manually
(myCam->setComputeNearFarMode is set to DO_NOT_COMPUTE) whenever the
camera is updated to ensure my desired view volume is correct
* Setting the Earth surface geometry compute bounds callback to disabled

And that works fine up until I move the camera out far enough as I
described previously. Something happens at that causes the geometry to
disappear unless I disable culling altogether.

Preet