Hi Ethan,
Maybe you could just keep it all on the gpu, and create the text for the hud in a shader like "drawtext GLSL shader"

http://mew.cx/drawtext/drawtext.html

Laurens.

On 1/23/2013 3:24 PM, Ethan Fahy wrote:
I should note that my needs are very similar to the ones described in this post:

http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?t=5941&highlight=glreadpixels

I adapted the sample code given at the end of that thread and found that while
I was able to retrieve the correct pixel values, I also was getting the:

warning: detected OpenGL error 'invalid operation' at after RenderBin::draw()

warning after every frame, regardless of whether my rtt camera was set to post
render or pre render.  Unfortunately that thread ended 2.5 years ago without a
full resolution to the outstanding questions.