Thanks for that. I found my answer about an hour after posting this one.

By the way what are the following fields in
osgUtil::LineSegmentIntersector::Intersection :

double                          ratio;
            osg::NodePath                   nodePath;
            osg::ref_ptr<osg::Drawable>     drawable;
            osg::ref_ptr<osg::RefMatrix>    matrix;
            osg::Vec3d                      localIntersectionPoint;
            osg::Vec3                       localIntersectionNormal;
            IndexList                       indexList;
            RatioList                       ratioList;
            unsigned int                    primitiveIndex;

Things like the nodePath, drawable, localIntersectionPoint, and  the
localIntersectionNormal, I can work out what the are. But what are the ratio,
ratioList, primitiveIndex, and the matrix? Is the matrix a transformation
matrix?

Tony V