Hi Armin,
Essentially the scene graph is a one-for-one representation of my DOM. Each
individual object can be edited, or its attributes changed.
The DOM can be a small number of geometrically "complex" objects  - this
causes no performance problems as the geometry "leafs" are large
geometrically, or the DOM might have a large number of simple objects.

A KD tree would be useful for removing "not visible" nodes, but in general
they are all visible.

In "theory" the  whole scene graph geometry was flattened to one set of
vertex, colors and normals for maximum efficiency - of course, updates to
the scene graph would require this structure to be partially or fully
rebuilt.

That's a bit of overkill for me, as I "know" the parent Group node in the
scene graph that I want to make more efficient. Typically the objects under
this node have the same attributes.

I could flatten my nodes "manually", but flattening the scene graph seems a
typical "use-case" that OSG users would want to do.

I have done some tests with osg::Optimizer with the MERGE_GEOMETRY option
after collecting all the osg::Geometry nodes into a temporary group -  this
does not do exactly what I want, as it only collects the
osg::PrimitiveSets. Not merging the sets themselves.
Weirdly calling "optimize" also causes my scene graph to stop drawing for
some unknown and very frustrating reason.

There is a lot of code in the OSG GLES plugin code that looks promising,
but it's quite undocumented and I am having to guess about it's
functionality.

Andrew