I think if you could describe more of your problem domain, we might have
better suggestions. Like, what do all of these geometries actually
represent? I know you're trying to generalize the problem, but sometimes
knowing the specifics of the problem allows us to make domain-specific
suggestions.

Like, sometimes the question is "how do I make my axe cut faster" but the
real answer is "here, use a chainsaw instead".

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 4:48 PM OpenSceneGraph Users <
osg-users@lists.openscenegraph.org> wrote:

> I found a reasonably good generic solution to flatten any part of my scene
> graph.
> - Use a visitor pattern to collect all my osg::Geometry into a set of
> geometries starting at the osg::Group in question
> - do a clone of the geometries into a new set with
> (osg::CopyOp::DEEP_COPY_PRIMITIVES | osg::CopyOp::DEEP_COPY_ARRAYS) , then
> add them into a new osg::Group for the optimizer to work with.
> - Use a osgUtil::MergeGeometryVisitor to collect all the primitive sets
> - Then an osgUtil::IndexMeshVisitor to merge the primitive sets
>

> On Sunday, March 1, 2020 at 9:07:42 AM UTC-8, AndrewC wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I was wondering what the best practices are for dealing with a complex
>> scene graph where a single osg::Group might have , say, 5000 children where
>> each child is fairly simple osg::Geom geometry. Clearly, this is
>> inefficient and draws slowly.
>> So obviously, compiling/collecting the geometry into one drawable would
>> be much more efficient. osgUtil::Optimizer does not seem to do this for me,
>> or am I missing something?
>>
>> Andrew
>>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osg-users/81eebbe0-f14b-4aa4-9c09-8bed0152647b%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osg-users/81eebbe0-f14b-4aa4-9c09-8bed0152647b%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. xe...@alphapixel.com
http://www.alphapixel.com/
Training • Consulting • Contracting
3D • Scene Graphs (Open Scene Graph/OSG) • OpenGL 2 • OpenGL 3 • OpenGL 4 •
GLSL • OpenGL ES 1 • OpenGL ES 2 • OpenCL
Legal/IP • Forensics • Imaging • UAVs • GIS • GPS •
osgEarth • Terrain • Telemetry • Cryptography • LIDAR • Embedded • Mobile •
iPhone/iPad/iOS • Android
@alphapixel <https://twitter.com/alphapixel> facebook.com/alphapixel (775)
623-PIXL [7495]