Hi J-S,

Checking the extension isn't good enough a test, as OpenGL 2.0 needn't
support this extension, and it doesn't tell us whether its actually
hardware accelerated, it just is this available.

Robert.

On 5/31/07, Jean-Sébastien Guay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello Robert,

> While OpenGL 2.0 drivers support NPOT, not all hardware supports it,
> so you end up with a software fallback.

I think you can query the driver to see if
ARB_texture_non_power_of_two is supported, and if it is, then don't do
the resize. This symbol will be defined by default if the driver
supports NPOT (because it conforms to the OpenGL 2.0 spec or not).

http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/texture_non_power_of_two.txt

I think OSG should behave as OpenGL behaves, and in this case, by
default an OpenGL 2.0 compliant driver should be able to use NPOT
textures in a Texture2D target. The above can be used as additional
error checking by OSG so that it can "do the right thing" on
non-compliant drivers. Requiring the user to set a hint to get the
expected behaviour seems a bit backwards, isn't it?

Anyways, thanks for the pointer.

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                         http://whitestar02.webhop.org/