Hi,

GL versions and extensions only indicate functionality; they do not imply any
performance improvement at all.  If you are performance-constrained, the
existence of an extension is not sufficient to decide to use it.

As for sure-fire performance queries, that is an unattainable goal, and has been
discussed to death in the OpenGL community (search for "isfast").  The problem
is performance assessment is a 'float' not a 'bool' ;-)

So I agree w/ Robert.  You can get the behaviour you want by always setting the
texture hint.

cheers
-- mew

--