It would seem that the American people are at risk from religious
zealots who would enroll us in either a real version of  a Christian
"Republic of Gilead" with its "Moral Values" or under the yoke of the
Islamic Khilafah enforced by "Sharia".

I would greatly prefer they all leave us alone...but neither group of
zealots is likely to just peacefully pray in their houses of worship.

David Bier

--- In osint@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Tefft" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

http://www.chroniclesmagazine.org/www/Chronicles/2005/February2005/0205Jatra
> s.html
>

> Is There a Khilafah in Your Future?
> The Coming Islamic Revolution
> by James George Jatras
>
> Discussions of jihad terrorism and the best defense against it
rarely avoid
> entanglement in the contentious question of the relationship of
terrorist
> actions to Islam as a religion. Is the terrorism an aberration of
Islam, or
> is it, judged in light of history, the prevailing orthodoxy? Indeed, the
> question is an important one, and, in a society that avoids
uncomfortable
> realities, answering it honestly is less a matter of analysis than
of moral
> courage.
>
> Perhaps less important in theory, but more central in terms of
policy, is a
> question less commonly asked: What is it, exactly, that the
terrorists mean
> to achieve? Nonstate violence as a political/military methodology is not
> new, nor does it exist in a vacuum. It proceeds from a worldview and, in
> almost all cases, has stated, ideologically defined, conscious
goals. The
> question then becomes one of whether the terrorists' motivations are
> essentially reactive (i.e., they are offended by the presence of
infidels on
> the sacred soil of Arabia, they are opposed to U.S. policy in the Middle
> East, they are trying to preserve a traditional way of life from the
> depredations of modern moral corruption, etc.), in which case we
would need
> to stop doing something (pull U.S. forces out of Saudi Arabia, stop
> supporting Israel, stop exporting trashy movies, etc.). Or is what
they want
> something affirmative, something that has an independent, positive
> imperative?
>
> In suggesting an answer to the question, I ask the reader to do a quick
> Google search for the word khilafah. When I first tried this about a
year
> ago, the result was in the range of 26,000 to 29,000 links (some of them
> redundant). Now, the results are above 50,000, and, by the time you read
> this, maybe more. Almost all of these sites link to material
available in
> English; I can only guess what is out there in Arabic, Urdu, Farsi,
Turkish,
> Malay, and other languages. The location of the site operators is
not always
> clear, but many of them seem to be based in the United Kingdom.
(Since many
> of the quotations in this article were downloaded a few months ago,
some of
> the sites have been removed, to some extent because of action of the
British
> government. Since the sentiments expressed on the sites are unlikely
to have
> disappeared as conveniently as the sites themselves, this appears to
be, at
> best, treating the symptom.)
>
> Khilafah—perhaps more familiar in the common form in English,
> caliphate—historically refers to the state ruled by a successor (called
> khalifah or, in English, caliph) of Muhammad, beginning in the seventh
> century. The khilafah, in one form or another, lasted until it was
abolished
> in 1924 by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk at the founding of the Turkish
Republic.

> Even a cursory review of these websites shows that in only a very few of
> them does the khilafah reference pertain to this purely historical
entity.
> On the contrary, as far as I can see, most of them are found on advocacy
> sites. These are people who date the current decrepitude of the Islamic
> world in comparison with the West to abolition of the khilafah and
insist
> that all Muslims are obligated to work for its revival. For example, the
> following is from the website (hizb-ut-tahrir.org) of the Turkish
branch of
> an international political party whose stated goal is reviving the
khilafah:

> ===>
>
> It was a day like this 79 years ago, and more specifically on the 3rd of
> March 1924 that . . . the criminal English agent, Mustafa Kemal
(so-called
> Ataturk, the "Father of the Turks"!) announced that the Grand National
> Assembly had agreed to destroy the Khilafah; and . . . he establish
. . . a
> secular, irreligious, Turkish republic. . . .
>
> Since that day the Islamic ummah [nation, community] has lived a
life full
> of calamities; she was broken up into small mini states controlled
by the
> enemies of Islam in every aspect. The Muslims were oppressed and
became the
> object of the kuffar's [unbelievers'] derision in Kashmir, Philippines,
> Thailand, Chechnya, Iraq, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Afghanistan, Palestine and
> other lands belonging to the Muslims . . .
>
> So the crime took place and the kuffar tightened their grip over the
Islamic
> lands and tore it up into pieces. . . . In place of a single
Khilafah state
> they established cartoon states and installed rulers as agents to
carry out
> the orders of their kuffar masters. They abolished the Islamic Sharee'ah
> [sic; religious law] from the sphere of ruling, economy, international
> relations, domestic transactions and judiciary.
>
> Without the Khilafah, the Islamic lands will remain torn up and the
Islamic
> peoples will remain divided. Without the Khilafah the kafir,
crusader and
> colonial states will continue to control us, plunder our resources and
> create divisions amongst us. Without the Khilafah, the Jews will
continue to
> occupy our sacred places and kill and humiliate our brothers in
Palestine.
> Without the Khilafah, the Islamic peoples in Bosnia, Chechnya,
Afghanistan,
> Iraq, Kashmir, Uzbekistan and so on will continue to be killed. . . .
> Without the Khilafah, those Muslims who do not work seriously for its
> implementation will be sinful and incur the anger of Allâh, even if they
> fast, pray, make Hajj [pilgrimage] and pay Zakah [alms]. This is
because the
> work to establish the Khilafah Rashidah is a fard [duty] on every
Muslim,
> and it should be conducted with the most extreme effort and utmost
speed. .
> . .
>
> The Khilafah Rashidah on the way of the Prophethood is coming soon
by the
> help of Allâh. Its prerequisites in terms of system and statesmen are
> present. The voices of the Muslims in all parts of the world from
Turkey to
> Nigeria, and from Uzbekistan to Indonesia are resoundingly demanding its
> return. It will come back despite the efforts and money spent by the
kuffar
> and the agents to prevent its return. So strengthen your resolve and
work
> seriously with the sincere da'wah ["invitation" to Islam; i.e.,
> proselytizing] carriers who are working to re-establish the Khilafah, so
> that you may attain the victory that Allâh has promised.
>
> <===
>

> Two things in particular should be noted in this exposition: First, all
> existing governments—including those in power in the Islamic world, here
> called "cartoon states"—are illegitimate (or based on kufr,
"unbelief") and
> must be overthrown; and, second, Islamic law, sharia, must be
established as
> the ruling legal system.
>
> Some of these sites detail what the khilafah will look like when it is
> reestablished, and what powers would be exercised by the man, the
khalifah,
> who will rule it. In summary (from
> al-islami.com/islam/establish_khilafah.php?p=4):
>
> • The Khilafah [state] must include all Muslim nations in the world.
>
> • There must be only one Khaleefah or Ameer [ruler], with all
Muslims giving
> him their bay'ah or allegiance. . . .
>
> • Shariah law must be implemented in the Islamic state regarding all
issues.

> • There must be only one military, with a single leadership
appointed by the
> Khaleefah.
>
> If the end sought by people of this persuasion is reestablishment of the
> khilafah, to what extent do they recognize the legitimacy of using
violent
> struggle—jihad and, by extension, what we call terrorism—as a means to
> achieve it? There is actually sharp debate in this community about that
> issue. Some take the view that what leads to the reestablishment of
> legitimate authority is itself legitimate. This side generally takes
a very
> expansive view as to what constitutes self-defense in such places as
> Chechnya, Kashmir, Bosnia, Palestine, Kosovo, the Philippines,
Uzbekistan,
> Xinjiang, Sudan, Aceh, Afghanistan, and other places. Some drop hints,
> rather than state outright, about how they would answer this
question. One
> British-Islamic website, muslimstudent.org.uk (now removed), stated:
>
> ===>
>
> Sharia'ah verdict obliges the Muslims to abolish the present puppet
regimes
> in the Muslim World, and to establish the Islamic system and unite
all the
> Muslim countries, bringing them back under the banner of one single
state,
> and one single Khalif who would rule by the Holy Qur'an and the
Sunnah of
> the Messenger (SAW). The duty of all Muslims is not only limited to
working
> towards overthrowing the regimes ruling the Muslim countries
nowadays, and
> in liberating occupied Muslim land from the unbelievers [sic] dominance,
> even if an Islamic rule is put in force, but it includes the work for
> unification of Muslim countries. This is a duty and it must not be
stalled
> for any reason even the absence of an Islamic state, for the texts
of the
> Sharia'ah concerning the unity of Muslim land are general and not
limited to
> the presence of a Khalif. . . . Fighting and exterminating Israel is an
> obligation even if the Muslims fighting are Arab armies loyal to
regimes of
> unbelief, like the Egyptian soldiers when they fought Israel during the
> Sinai war. . . . The uniting of Muslim [lands] includes the land that
> Muslims lost control of, including, Turkistan, Bulgaria, Cyprus,
Greece and
> the land that Muslims had lost like Andalous (Spain) . . . Our duty as
> Muslims . . . [is] to kick the American, British, and Israeli forces
from
> Hijaz (Saudi Arabia) and Palestine, and to overthrow all these
non-Islamic
> regimes in order to establish the Islamic state on their ruins.
>
> <===
>

> Others take the view that, strictly speaking, jihad can only be
> unconditionally legal once the khilafah is reestablished. If that
were to
> occur, there is little disagreement that the foreign policy of the
caliphate
> would be one of jihad. For example, khilafah.com says:
>
> ===>
>
> Thus Islam has come for the whole of mankind and Allah has obliged the
> Muslims to convey it in a manner which draws attention. . . . [W]hoever
> stands as an obstacle and prevents Islam from reaching the people,
it is an
> obligation to fight him in order to remove this obstacle, and thus
to open
> the way for the people to Islam: so either they embrace Islam or
they submit
> to the laws of Islam. . . . The true and effective jihad which
uproots kufr
> [unbelief] and liberates the land of the Muslims from the Yahud [the
Jew]
> and Kuffar cannot take place without the existence of the Khilafah State
> which will unite the Muslims in a single state and under the
leadership of
> one Khalifah who will rule them with the Book of Allah and the Sunna
> [traditions] of His Messenger, and lead them into the battlefields
of jihad
> to spread Islam and protect the Muslims.
>
> <===
>

> And, according to another site, almuhajiroun.com (currently offline, but
> this site has a remarkable tendency to reappear following periodic
> interruptions):
>
> ===>
>
> Once the Islamic State is established anyone in Dar Al Harb [realm
of war]
> will have no sanctity for his life or wealth hence a Muslim in such
> circumstances can then go into Dar Al Harb and take the wealth from the
> people unless there is a treaty [of temporary truce] with that state. If
> there is no treaty individual Muslims can even go to Dar Al Harb and
take
> women to keep as slaves.
>
> <===
>

> Where will khilafah be instituted? The short answer is, wherever it
can be.
> Commonly, two general areas have been discussed. One is in the zone
> stretching from the Ferghana Valley in Central Asia (overlapping the
former
> Soviet republics of Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan) to Pakistan,
> which includes Afghanistan. Taliban-ruled Afghanistan would have
been the
> embryo for the Khilafah's reestablishment in that region, with the
eventual
> subversion of an already semi-Talibanized, nuclear-armed Pakistan,
fostering
> the creation of a sharia superstate with over 200 million people and
armed
> with nuclear weapons. The other candidate is in Southeast Asia, with the
> creation of a sharia state in the Aceh region of the northwestern
part of
> the Indonesian island of Sumatra as the initial beachhead, to include
> eventually all of Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, and parts of the
> Philippines, Thailand, and Burma, and possibly Bangladesh.
>
> What does all this have to do with anything? Just this: What we have
here is
> an ideology, one with clearly defined goals, in search of a host—a
land and
> a people in which to bring it to life. Some might dismiss this kind
of talk
> as the ravings of just a few lunatics, albeit violent lunatics.
Perhaps some
> might have taken the same view of an Austrian former corporal
sitting in the
> Landsberg am Lech fortress prison in 1924, writing a book about his
> "struggle," or of a couple of obscure German scribblers issuing some
kind of
> "manifesto" in 1848.
>
> These disparate elements promoting khilafah share a common, clearly
defined
> vision—one with a lot more moral, historical, and demographic depth
than a
> Hitler or a Marx could have claimed—that should not be discounted.
To call
> the violence associated with this movement merely "terrorism,"
without an
> awareness of what the violence is meant to achieve, is to miss the whole
> point. The khilafists have their collective manifesto, and perhaps, with
> September 11 and its aftermath, they have had their Paris Commune.
Maybe the
> next big attack will be their guns of the cruiser Aurora, leading, they
> hope, to their own October Revolution and the long-awaited rebirth of
> khilafah.
>
> If this specter is haunting not just Europe but the whole world, why has
> hardly anyone noticed? To my knowledge, the only political leader of
a major
> power who has publicly acknowledged the existence of this movement is
> President Vladimir Putin of the Russian Federation, who has observed
that
> Chechen terrorism is an initial step in the reconstitution of a "global
> caliphate," which amounts, he said, to "world supremacy." Mr. Putin also
> took note of the radicals' willingness to kill Christians, atheists, and
> nonradical Muslims who oppose the effort. There seems to have been
> absolutely no resonance among other world leaders to this
identification. In
> fact, in the media, there has been some criticism, as if Putin had
made it
> up.
>
> American policymakers seem unable or unwilling to take khilafah
seriously,
> though they can hardly be unaware of it. U.S. policy is focused on
> "state-supported terrorism" and a list of "rogue states" instead of
> targeting the global khilafah movement and its subsets: jihad
ideology and
> the demand to install sharia. Indeed, the major bases for that
movement are
> not in the rogue states (with the partial exception of Iran) but in
> countries regarded by Washington as allies in the "coalition against
> terrorism": Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Pakistan—all close, longtime
friends of
> the United States. This does not even take into account khilafist
> strongholds in Europe, especially in Great Britain.
>
> Dealing with this seeming incomprehension of the problem is a far more
> urgent task than the endless tinkering with the structure of law
enforcement
> and intelligence agencies that disproportionately occupies the
attention of
> official Washington. Perhaps America—having seen her survival of the
Cold