Please find below an example of UPI's continuing coverage of the war on
terror and related issues. I hope you find it interesting. You may link
to it on the web here:

http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20050707-094538-5139r

If you have any comments or questions about this piece, need any more
information about UPI products and services, or want to stop receiving
these alerts, please get in touch.

Thank you,

Shaun Waterman
UPI Homeland and National Security Editor
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: 202 898 8081

U.S.: London blasts consistent with al-Qaida methodology

WASHINGTON, July 7 (UPI) -- U.S. officials say they have no evidence the
London bombings were the work of al-Qaida, but said the attacks were
consistent with the group's methodology.

"We don't know who was responsible for the attacks," a senior U.S.
intelligence official told reporters in a Thursday evening conference
call.

The official demanded anonymity, even though he was briefing in a
conference call organized by the public affairs office of the director
of national intelligence.

"However," the official continued, "the attack methodology is consistent
with what we know that al-Qaida has planned for in the past."

Four bombs -- three on trains and one on a bus -- exploded during rush
hour in the British capital Thursday, killing at least 37 people and
injuring 700 more. The death toll is expected to rise.

The official added the attacks were also "consistent with what happened
in Madrid, which was carried out by an al-Qaida inspired -- if not
affiliated -- group."

Islamic extremists planted a series of bombs on commuter trains during
rush hour in the Spanish capital in March last year, killing 190 people.

The official said there were no confirmed details about the character of
the devices, but added, "I do have information that timing devices
appear to have used in some of the attacks."

He said there were no indications that any of the attacks were carried
out by suicide bombers.

The official said he could not confirm reports that British
investigators had discovered a number of unexploded devices on buses
after the bombing. "We know that the British identified some suspicious
packages... in the immediate aftermath of the bombings and there was at
least one controlled explosion," the official said.

"Some of those suspicious items were deemed to be benign, but some they
didn't want to take a chance with."

The bombs must have been "fairly powerful in light of the number of
injuries and fatalities," he said, adding that the "enclosed spaces" in
which the explosions took place "enhances the impact."

Copyright (c) 2001-2005 United Press International