Hi Jiri,

also you can run the command "/var/ossec/bin/agent_control -lc" to get the
connected agents. Keep in mind that in order to know if an agent is
connected, disconnected or never connected OSSEC reads the modification
date of the files in /var/ossec/queue/agent-info/*:

   - if there is no file for the agent the status is never connected
   - if the modification time of the file is less than a defined tiemout,
   the status is actived. If it is greater then the status is disconnected.

The timeout is 3*NOTIFY_TIME+30, NOTIFY_TIME by default is 600 seconds.

Regarding the rules to detect DDOS attacks, you could create something like
this:

local_rules.xml:
<group name="attack,">

    <rule id="200000" level="15" timeframe="300" frequency="3">
        <if_matched_group>attacks|attack|automatic_attack</if_matched_group>
        <same_source_ip />
        <description>Attacks from same source IP</description>
  </rule>

</group>

You are saying: if one of these groups (attack, attacks or
automatic_attack) have matched in the last 300 seconds more than 5 times
(frecuency + 2) and the event comes from the same ip, it could be a DDOS
attack. You can play with the variables (tiemframe and frecuency) or create
new rules with a specific group and append it to the rule.

Regards.
Jesus Linares.