Helge-

Respectfully, your comments below are not all entirely accurate. Open-Xchange is GPL'd. The package, though difficult to install and manage (these are of course opinions), is rather complete. Most of the cosmetic issues are easy to resolve. The performance is quite reasonable. By using XMail underneath it and our own web interface on top, we have had a great degree of success providing an end-user manageable groupware solution with a robust backend.

The gaping hole in the solution is full Outlook connectivity. There is a strong need for a complete end-to-end GPL solution that includes not just email and contacts, but also calendar support. This support should be provided through at least two solid desktop clients: first Outlook and second a GPL'd program such as the Mozilla suite.

Now, on to the connector. It is very, very difficult for me to imagine a situation in which working the problem from both ends at the same time- desktop client out and server software in- would not make life easier.

Regards,

   Darrell McGuire
   Pegasys Computer Technologies, Inc.

Helge Hess wrote:

Hi,

not wanting to start a discussion, but you got a lot of things wrong: