On 2. Feb 2005, at 02:46 Uhr, dmcguire wrote:
Respectfully, your comments below are not all entirely accurate.

In what respect?

Open-Xchange is GPL'd.

The software is released under a free software license, but the project isn't a free one. Just take a look at the top site navigation, the first point is "product", the second "company". Is the CVS public? Who has write access to the website? Who has write access to the repository? etc.

By using XMail underneath it and our own web interface on top, we have had a great degree of success providing an end-user manageable groupware solution with a robust backend.

You are talking about SLOX, not Open-Xchange. Of course the Cyrus server used on SLOX is fast and very robust (and supports standards BTW). This doesn't related to Open-Xchange, which is just the web interface (and you don't even use that! :-)

The gaping hole in the solution is full Outlook connectivity. There is a strong need for a complete end-to-end GPL solution that includes not just email and contacts, but also calendar support. This support should be provided through at least two solid desktop clients: first Outlook and second a GPL'd program such as the Mozilla suite.

Actually completing Mozilla is probably much less work than than writing an Outlook SP. But this is not the focus of this group.

Now, on to the connector. It is very, very difficult for me to imagine a situation in which working the problem from both ends at the same time- desktop client out and server software in- would not make life easier.

Definitely. Yet the connector should be focused on standards from the beginning, so that you don't jump from one vendor lockin to the next.

IMHO this is even more important than having the solution opensource, but this is really just my opinion (others were expressed here before [eg implementing the MAPI protocol] and certainly are valid as well).

My point is not, product XYZ is better than ZYX, my point is that one should focus on using a standard instead of getting tied to one solution from the beginning on. That way the user can choose what he consideres best.

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/